Humming bird migration to Costa Rica
The Incredible Flight of the Hummingbird
One of the things that makes Costa Rica / Manuel Antonio a favorite destination is its diversity, and the reason for its diversity is its location. Uniquely situated between the North American continent and the South American continent, our beautiful country is a meeting point for animals from both hemispheres, and a popular destination for many types of migrating birds.
Perhaps the most incredible migration is that of the hummingbird. Though these tiny birds measure less than 3 inches in length and have a wingspan of 3-4 inches, these little troopers travel up to 500 miles during their annual migration!
These incredible creatures will migrate from as far North as Canada, sometimes doing the entire journey without stopping. This requires flying a whopping 500 across the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico on their way to the tropical warmth and lush vegetation of Latin and Central America.
Residents of Costa Rica and vacationers alike are thrilled by their arrival in October, and spend hours outside listening to the incredible humming of their tiny iridescent wings as they zoom from flower to flower.
Perhaps that’s why so many of our rental properties, like this one in Manuel Antonio, with its lush tropical gardens and comfortable chairs, are so popular. They allow us to immerse ourselves in nature and commune with the creatures all around us, while still allowing enjoying our creature comforts and luxury.
Did You Know?
- Ruby-throated hummingbirds are solitary birds, and make this amazing journey all alone, stopping only for snacks along the way.
- In order to survive the trip, they must double their body mass before they migrate.
- Females incubate and raise their chicks alone.
- They can raise 2 broods per year if the conditions are right.
- The hummingbird’s wings beat 53 times per second!
- Hummingbirds are used to humans and aren’t afraid to build nests quite close to us.
- In the tranquility of your private space, the thrumb of a hummingbird’s wings can be heard from several yards away.
- They prefer flowers in shades of red and orange.
Like the ones growing right outside of this spacious mansion near Dominical.
At Escape Villas, we offer a wide selection of villas and rental properties where you can enjoy a private retreat with a truly indoor-outdoor experience. What better way to immerse yourself in the splendor of Costa Rica’s diverse wildlife than to live in it while you’re here?
Every property, whether it’s an intimate hideaway nestled under the jungle canopy or a modern luxury mansion with walls of glass that looks out over the deep blue of the Pacific, comes with the serenity and privacy of its own grounds, and an intense connection to the nature surrounding it.
Ready to Book Your Next Getaway?
You can call us direct from Costa Rica at +506-8932-4731, or at +1-888-672-3673 from the USA.